Uxbridge Optimist Fantasy of Lights – Christmas in the Park 2008
– An LED light display in Elgin Park at Christmas organized by the Uxbridge Optimists
– Local businesses, organizations, schools churches, and citizen groups are encouraged to participate by entering a display celebrating Uxbridge and the holiday season
– The event will consist of an evening drive or walk through Elgin Park during the Christmas season.
– Celebration of Uxbridge and Christmas
– Promotion of Uxbridge to the surrounding communities / support of tourism
– Fundraising for the youth of Uxbridge (no cost to build a display but the public will have the opportunity to donate during the event)
Set Up – Dec 17 from 2pm to 9pm
Opening Ceremony – Dec 18th 6pm
Event – Dec 18th through Dec 25th
Tear Down – Dec 26th noon to 5pm
Each participant will have a 25 foot lot on which to build a display using LED lights
Some lots have trees which can be incorporated or worked around
Displays can take any form including:
– wood – metal – ice sculpture – in-tree – on-ground – tree & ground
The Optimist Club will provide a sign for each display indicating the participant. Participants are encouraged to remember that the purpose of the event is to celebrate Uxbridge and the season. We encourage the “communication” of the participant’s identity and/or message but would like to limit the commercialization of the event. Please remember that the audience will consist of citizens of all ages. Please ensure the message is appropriate. We will attempt to have an appropriate level of security but please be aware that we cannot guarantee the safety of your display. Should any damage occur to your display (due to weather, vandalism, or other means) we will immediately contact you. We will offer our help in regard to repairing your display but ultimately it will be your responsibility to do so ASAP.
The enclosed map shows a “U” shaped trail through Elgin Park. Guests will enter from Main Street and exit on Water Street. The event will be set up for both walking and driving. The Optimists will “man” the entrance each evening and will hand out a brochure highlighting all participants (display owners).
The township will ensure the park is plowed for the event as required.
Each display will have access to only one electrical outlet that might be as far away as 50 feet so you will require a 50 foot extension cord and outlet bar as needed to run your display.
Please remember, LED and floodlights only.
The Optimist Club will distribute flyers around town and work with local media to inform the public of this event. To date, all feedback, from the township, local media, local service groups, and the public has been very positive.
We are very excited to be bringing this even to Uxbridge. We expect the event to grow substantially over the coming years and that eventually this event will be bringing people to Uxbridge as well as entertaining our local residence. We look forward to your participation and would like to thank you in advance for such.
Please contact the following Optimist members with any questions, comments, or to sign up for the event:
1. Fred Bendell 905 852-3257
2. John Carroll 905 852-9344
3. Brent Lunn 905 862-2445
Please note that lot selection will be awarded on a “first come, first served” basis. Please quote a lot number from the map at left when you call to sign up.